Monday, August 8, 2011

A new kind of pepper

Last Friday I ventured to the farmer's market with my mom. This was the first time in years that I had been to a farmer's market. I made up for that though, by circling around the whole market about 5 times. I only stopped because I could tell that my mom was getting a little fed up with waiting for me.

We refrained from buying every delicious piece of fresh produce there (although I was so tempted), and left with a few items (that I did not photograph), including new potatoes, cherries, peaches, green beans, carrots, a cauliflower, and possibly my favourite: a basket full of bell peppers. The best part about these peppers, was that they were all different colours, including the good ol' green and red peppers, but more importantly, the new (to me) purple and white peppers! They were beautiful and I had never seen anything like them. Okay, so maybe I need to get out more?



Purple being my favourite colour, I decided to save the purple pepper so that I could admire its beauty every time I opened up the crisper drawer. Instead, I devoured a small white one as soon as we got home. The other white pepper, I used up today as part of my lunch.

Kidney Bean and White Bell Pepper Salad:

Romaine lettuce, brown rice, red kidney beans, white bell pepper, red bell pepper, sunflower seeds. All topped off with a dressing made by mixing 1 Tbsp hummus with 2 Tbsp water. So simple. So quick. So fresh. So delicious.

(I forgot to take a picture until I had already eaten several forkfuls. Also, all of the good stuff appears to be at the bottom. I'll get better at this, I promise!)

I'm assuming the white peppers turn into purple peppers as they ripen, much like how green peppers will turn red as they ripen, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone seen these peppers before and know anything about them?

No comments:

Post a Comment