Thursday, August 11, 2011

Summer Mango Salad

For some reason, mangoes are one of those fruits that I tend to forget exist.



Now, don't get me wrong -It's not that I don't like mangoes. I actually adore them. The problem is that they don't make themselves very noticeable in the grocery store. I'm pretty sure they're available in the grocery store year round. But during the winter months, the price of mangoes is so high that they fall under my radar entirely. Then along comes summer, and the mangoes go on sale (because clearly, this tropical fruit is suddenly being harvested in Canada). Okay, so maybe mangoes aren't suddenly falling off of the trees in Ontario in July and August, but for whatever reason, the price of these tropical gems drops to the point that I acknowledge them, and I will purchase one.

It's not ripe enough to eat right then, so I throw it into my crisper, and throw the 5 lbs of apples on top, and once again, I forget about the mango.

Then one day, we're running low on apples, and I see a large, colourful, funny shaped fruit (i.e., not a sphere like an apple, as I am used to). By this point, the mango is nice and ripe, and ready to be eaten. Unfortunately, I'm rushing out the door and just wanted to grab an apple to go, and I know how long and messy it is to cut up a mango. So, I grab the last apple, and jot down "apples" on a piece of paper, in attempts to start a grocery list, forgetting once again about the mango.

Eventually, one day, I see the mango, I acknowledge it, and I have the time to cut it up and to suck out all of the juice from the inside of the peel. Because the mango has been sitting in the fridge for so long, it is now super ripe, and extra juicy.

On this day, I vow never to forget about a mango again. (I think I say this every time I eat a mango)


Summer Mango Salad (adapted from this recipe)

Serves 2-4

1 medium sized mango, sliced thinly
1 red pepper, sliced thinly
2 small carrots (or 1 large), grated
4-6 cups mixed greens
Parsley, for garnish

Dressing:
3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp peanut butter
¾ tsp honey
¾ tsp soy sauce
Dash of pepper

Directions:
- Whisk together ingredients for dressing and put in fridge
- Cut mango and red pepper into thin slices (so it looks pretty)
- Grate carrot
- Add mango slices, red pepper slices, and grated carrot to mixed greens
- Pour dressing over top
- Serve as a side, or add chicken, salmon, or tofu
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy!

Any other mango lovers out there? Share your love for the mango!

No comments:

Post a Comment