Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tempo run pace vs. race pace

I decided to do a tempo run today. I ran about 8k today (5 miles). The first mile was a jogging warm up, then I ran faster for 3 miles, then jogged the last mile to cool down.

Mile 1: 9:46 (warm up)
Mile 2: 8:39
Mile 3: 8:25
Mile 4: 8:19
Mile 5: 9:24 (cool down)

My pace for the 3 fast miles averaged out to 8:27. How did I ever run my last half marathon at a 8:24 pace?! I felt like I was sprinting those 3 miles today - and yet I wasn't even running quite as fast as I did for 13.1 miles.

I didn't have a Garmin when I was training for the half marathon, but I don't think that I was running any faster than I am now during training. If anything, I would guess that I'm running faster now, since my Garmin pushes me to run faster. I wonder if part of it is the heat and humidity that I'm facing during these summer runs as compared to the May when I ran the Mississauga Half Marathon. Or maybe it was just the adrenaline and the race environment that made me that much faster? Either way, it still seems like a such a fast pace for me. It kind of seems like a magical fairy carried me through the race, across the finish line.

Post run breakfast:




Banana Peach Smoothie (in my gorgeous magic bullet)
- 1 Frozen banana
- 3/4 of a peach (the rest was eaten as I was making the smoothie)
- 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 ice cube

Along with good ol' PB&B toast. I looove this bread. When it comes to packaged bread, this stuff is where it's at. It's called Bavarian Multigrain Bread and it's got so much flavour and texture, and it's made from all natural ingredients (probably why it tastes so good). I'm telling you, those Bavarians have got something going for them.



Do you feel like it's a lot easier to run faster during races as compared to training runs?


No comments:

Post a Comment