Saturday, September 3, 2011

Cauliflower Bean Mush

I know, the title just screams sophisticated delicious food.

The pictures aren't exactly stellar either..



But, at least I remembered to take pictures this time!

This lunch came together by me looking in the fridge, and using up all the veggeis that were left.

You know how sometimes people avoid eating the last of some sort of food, either because they don't want to have to throw out the garbage that comes with it, or they genuinely feel bad about using it all up? The milk bag in the fridge with a drop of milk that could really only be used in a cup of tea (except that no one living in your house takes milk in their tea). Or the one lone cookie at the bottom of the cookie jar/box, which is pretty useless because who ever eats just one cookie?

Eating the rest of the veggies was not like that for me. I justified it to myself because I was moving back to London (Ontario) the following day and since I'm the one in my family who eats most of the veggies, I might as well eat them up so that my family doesn't let them go bad! Imagine, what a waste that would be.

There wasn't even that much really, just half of a pepper that didn't know if it wanted to be red or orange or green, and half a head of cauliflower. Good enough for me!

It also helped knowing that my dad was about to go out and buy groceries, so I knew I'd have some veggies to eat for dinner.

Cauliflower Bean Mush

1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
1/2 cup kidney beans
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 a greenish orangish pepper
1 TBSP sunflower seeds

Juice of 1/4 lime
1/2 TBSP Olive oil
1/2 tsp seasoning

1. Steam cauliflower for 3-5 minutes, then add frozen corn and continue to steam for 2-3 minutes
2. Stir in beans and chopped pepper and simmer for a few minutes as you make the dressing
3. Make dressing by comining oil, lime juice and seasoning
4. Add dressing to pot, stiring thoroughly, so that it starts to look like mush
5. Enjoy with tortilla chips, crackers, or with a fork!

If you're feeling really adventurous, mix in some grated cheese and enjoy the stringiness of the cheese as you eat.



^^^check out that stringiness! mmm

No comments:

Post a Comment