Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Cake

So clearly school has begun again. Between all the moving, the school work, the social gatherings with friends I haven't seen all summer, and all the other things that go along with living on your own, oh and not to mention freaking out about marathon training, I haven't had much time to devote to this little project of mine.

Nevertheless, I haven't forgotten about Running Through Peanut Butter. I've still been running, and I've still been going through lots of peanut butter.

In fact, this morning I was planning on running, but decided to instead enjoy a nice breakfast (with peanut butter, of course), and to save my run for later in the day. It's nice that now that the temperature has dropped a little, I can have an afternoon run, and not melt or die.

Ever since seeing Ashley's Buckwheat Bakes, I've been intrigued. I've made many oatmeal versions because I never had buckwheat (nor was I really sure what it was). But the other day at Bulk Barn, I went for it and purchased some Kasha, or buckwheat groats. Then I came home, read over Ashley's early buckwheat bake entries, only to discover that I got the wrong kind. Kasha is toasted buckwheat, and I needed the non toasted kind - which, I might add, bulk barn didn't have.

So, back to the oatmeal bakes it was, but I managed to find a way to incorporate the kasha! It added a nice crunch!

You'll notice that I used the microwave for this baby rather than the oven - because I'm lazy and impatient in the mornings and want to eat breakfast asap. I also didn't grind the oats, and Ashley suggests, because that is yet another step that I don't have time for. I also kind of like the chew of rolled oats. So there ya go.



Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Cake:
1/4 ripe banana, mashed
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/2 T whole wheat flour
1 T kasha
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 T chia seeds
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup egg white
1 T raisins

1. Mix everything together in microwave safe bowl
2. Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes, checking every so often to make sure it doesn't rise over the top of the bowl.
3. Top with whatever you so desire. (Preferably PB and Greek yogurt)

This is just barely sweet (from the banana), so you might choose to add sweetener. I imagine maple syrup and/or molasses would taste delicious!



Tell me: Who else is on the buckwheat bake train? What's your favourite version?

No comments:

Post a Comment